Sunday, July 03, 2011

Cocktails + fireworks: what could go wrong?

I've been spending every available moment this holiday weekend on my new front porch. Since we seem to need to go to the TargetHomeDepotPlex approximately every 29 hours and since I have an extremely overdue book review that I'm determined to get done before Tuesday, it hasn't been quite the all-day-every-day affair that I'd like. But still: there has been grilling. There have been cherries and berries, newspapers and novels, watering the plants and watching the neighbor kids play in the street and wondering WTF is up with that cop car that keeps circling. And most importantly: there has been drinking.

Independence Day Americano, à la Flavia:

2 oz. Campari
1 oz. sweet vermouth
4-6 oz. club soda
Pour over ice and garnish with blueberries

Celebrate it with me, kids: your independence from crappy beer and cheap white wine!

2 comments:

meg said...

I'm reading this from my own front porch with a G&T as I catch up on all my feeds and watch the neighborhood cats cavort, all 24 of them. A porch is a wonderful thing.

Historiann said...

Mmmmmmmmnnnn. What's your new address, again? I'll be right over.

I think I'm old enough now to enjoy Campari, which I found just too bitter and medicinal the first time I tasted it when I was 21 and still ate enormous ice-cream sundaes for dessert. Now, I can easily take a pass on the ice cream in favor of alcohol and salt!