Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Campaign ads

I'm having my freshman check out this site run by the American Museum of the Moving Image, which brings together every presidential campaign t.v. commercial since 1955. I'd heard about the site on NPR back in 2004, and I used it to great success in the previous incarnation of this class--but I'd forgotten how awesome the site is. The ads are, of course, the real attraction, but the site is also beautifully set up and very navigable.

It's a total procrastination device, but such fun. (Maybe I'm a sicko, but I can watch Johnson's "Daisy" commercial all day long.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Flavia,
that site is soooo cool! I'm going to give my students the information and, perhaps, assign a fun extra credit assignment in which they can analyze one of the commercials.
I feel like we're secretly teaching the same freshman comp class. My students have been working on identifying logical fallacies in political writings this week and we're gearing up to investigate Thank You For Smoking on Monday to test our understanding of argument strategies. I highly recommend using it in a comp class, if you (or anyone else out there in blog land) are not already doing so.

Rob said...

There's never been a more blantant case of bringing politics into the classroom. ;)

Courtney said...

Love the site. I'm going to linkee. And use them in class.