Among the things currently sapping my strength:
- Grading. 'Nuff said.
- I'm chairing a major departmental committee. The work isn't monumental (and I've been fortunate in how little service I've been expected to do in previous years), but it's still new work, with the attendant learning curve.
- Fall. I love fall, but I always get a bit moody and prone to bursting unexpectedly into tears at this time of year.
- The fabulous progress I made on my manuscript over the summer has not been sustained, and I'm mad at myself for that.
- After more than two years, I recently got back in touch with my ex-partner. It's been a good, healthy, and even basically banal event--but reintegrating him and parts of our shared past into my present has still taken up a certain amount of psychic space.
- Recommendation letters. Endless recommendation letters
- Another one of my local friends is moving away. I've been developing and/or deepening other friendships, of course, but this is a reminder of how transient most members of my social circle really are.
- I'm traveling each of the next two weekends, most of the way across the country both times.
- One of those trips is for a conference. For which I have yet to write my paper.
- I'm not getting enough sleep. I had a brief cold a few weeks ago that left behind a lingering cough that acts up at night--and though I'm now on antibiotics, having two cats isn't conducive to getting an uninterrupted 8.5 hours, either.
- Did I mention grading?
Damn. October really is a brutal month. How's it with you-all?