Monday, October 15, 2007

Fall break goodies

So Evey and I hit the mall yesterday--and not our local mall, neither, but one requiring a significant drive each way--and I returned home with the following:

1. Two M*A*C lipsticks, one in "Diva," a dark berry/plum color, and the other in "Ruby Woo," a traffic-stopping red with a seriously retro matte finish. (I think I may only be able to wear the latter at night, in dimly-lit establishments--it's pretty fabulous, but possibly more drag-queen fabulous than movie-star fabulous.)



2. A pair of pointy red shoes in shiny shiny calfskin--perfect with my navy pinstripe suit. (All y'all going to MLA, keep an eye out.)


And heck, because it's fall and a time for new beginnings and preparing for the long winter ahead, I also spent some time contemplating new moisturizing and skin care regimens (winter is a time of killing-spree-inducingly dry skin for your Flavia) and finally took a leap of faith and credit card on one. Then I dug out ye olde humidifier, vacuumed, did two loads of laundry, and (thanks to a new-agey store called, I kid you not, Archimago) "smudged" my apartment with white sage. Whether evil spirits were actually inspired to flee the premises I can't say, but it sure smells nice in here.

So yeah. Now I'm hanging out in my sweetly-scented apartment, grading papers in track pants and blindingly bright lipstick. When I get bored? I get up and put on a different lipstick.

Who says the academic life isn't a glamorous one?

15 comments:

Tiruncula said...

Oh, teh fabulosity! I love the lipstick.

heu mihi said...

Come mla-time, I will know you by your shoes. Splendid!

I, on the other hand, am contemplating an Old Navy online shopping spree. Hardly comparable. Oh well--I need pants. Like, bad.

Flavia said...

Oh! Actually, Heu Mihi, I think I may be seeing you (and you too, T) before all that. have been meaning to email--but MW knows details.

But now, which shoes to wear. . . ?

Anonymous said...

those shoes are SO nice!! i just bought a pair in the same material, but flats. i love the heels though, i think i need to practice getting used to them again.

phd me said...

Lovely, lovely lipstick! I adore deep shades of red and berry. You must look fabulous!

medieval woman said...

Okay - when we meet up at soon-to-be conference - you gotta break out the "Ruby Woo"!

Sisyphus said...

ooh, so shiny, so red! I love the heels! However, I see your shoes and raise you some boots. Will post my latest internet splurge at my place shortly.

And switching lipsticks to keep the grading fresh --- why didn't I think of that??? (It makes me feel better about sometimes putting on a full face of makeup in order to be asskicking enough to write my diss.)

Flavia said...

MW: Tell you what: I'll bring it, but may only break glass in case of emergency. This is some serious fucking 1940s lipstick we're talking--kinda requires Barbara Stanwyck's wig from Double Indemnity to pull it off.

(Not that I won't wear it regardless, but I may be stared at.)

squadratomagico said...

Wowza! Just... wowza! I wish I had the gumption to wear rich red lipstick! For some reason, though I am capable of wearing quite extreme clothing and of having colored streaks in my hair, I am uncomfortable in strong makeup.

medieval woman said...

Okay - to up the ante: I'll buy you the most retro drink you want (sidecar? vodka gimlet?) just so that you can have the experience of leaving a Ruby Woo lipstick mark on the glass - we'll have to go somewhere where there's plenty of glam - lots of rich velvet and leather and good-looking men in expensive suits. Hmmmmm....

St. Eph said...

Those shoes are killing me, in the best possible way. And MW is right, the lipstick demands a super-fancy gimlet. Or a Manhattan. And I just happen to know the best gimlet in MLA-this-year-city. I'm just sayin'.

Flavia said...

Just so we're clear: the only manner in which Flavia drinks vodka is on the rocks. (And even so, she'd rather have gin.)

HOWEVER, she would happily drink a sidecar, a *gin* gimlet, a rusty nail, or a big ol' glass of scotch with any and all y'all. And to celebrate the occasion, she'll wear the lipstick of your choosing.

So MW and St. Eph: you're on!

gwoertendyke said...

MAC, my fa*vorite....very hot. there is something terribly sexy about grading in lipstick and heels....

Chaser said...

RoWr...rowr...boom!

So jealous my head exploded.

Lisa B. said...

have both those lipsticks, and power lipstick/track pants--perfect!