Monday, February 19, 2007

Thirty-two.

How soon hath Time, the subtle thief of youth
Stol’n on his wing my [two] and [thir]tieth year!
My hasting days fly on with full career,
But my late spring no bud or blossom show’th.
Perhaps my semblance might deceive the truth,
That I to [adult]hood am arrived so near,
And inward ripeness doth much less appear,
Than some more timely-happy spirits endu'th.
Yet be it less or more, or soon or slow,
It shall be still, in strictest measure ev'n
To that same lot, however mean or high,
Toward which Time leads me, and the will of Heav’n;
All is, if I have grace to use it so,
As ever in my great task-Master’s eye.

(Milton, Sonnet VII)


Flavia at age four.

23 comments:

lucyrain said...

Happiest Birthday, Flavee.

phd me said...

Happy birthday to you!

Anonymous said...

You're still 31 on the best coast

-scr

Hilaire said...

Happy Birthday!!

Anonymous said...

Okay, NOW you can have a happy birthday :)

-scr

Tiruncula said...

Many Happy Returns of the Day!

Scrivener said...

Happy birthday!!1! What a cute four-year-old you were!

Pilgrim/Heretic said...

That's the greatest picture. Happy birthday!

Flavia said...

Thanks for keeping me honest, bro. (And younger!)

Hieronimo said...

Happy birthday!

Wait, so did you turn 32 or 33? Has time already stolen your 32nd year, or are you about to embark upon it? It's all so tricky given the "year 0" which is the first year.

Horace said...

Welcome to 32! But remember, it's the last full year of your first-third-century...So live it up!

Tracy said...

Happy Birthday! Here's to many, many more years (and many more blog posts marking those years).

Flavia said...

Hieronimo: oh, good point! I am exactly 32 today, which I think entitles me to say that Time has stol'n 32 years (although not, technically, my "32nd year"), since tomorrow I will be thirty-two-years-and-one-day old.

Boy. Numbers are hard. Good thing I majored in English.

Dr. Virago said...

Happy, happy birthday and many happy returns!

life_of_a_fool said...

. . .also, that's an adorable 4 year old picture.

RageyOne said...

Great picture! Happy Birthday!

Tenured Radical said...

Love the piggies, Flavia. Happy, happy.

TR

Oso Raro said...

OMG, I just fell out of my chair with the sweetness. Only 32? Wow, so many years yet to waste! :-P

Bardiac said...

Happy Birthday! I hope the coming year treats you well!

Mel said...

happy birthday! have another fantastic trip around the sun!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday - wow, I'd recognize those eyes anywhere! :) You should totally bring pigtails back in!

timna said...

Happy next day, too!

Ancrene Wiseass said...

Happy belated b-day!