I don't move for weeks, so I'm not packing yet, but I've taken my impending move as a reason to go on a shopping and organizational binge. Over the past week, I have bought:
- New bed linens for the queen-sized bed that the vacating tenants of my new apartment are generously gifting to me
- Gorgeous new tea-towels that I found at the flea market
- A real vacuum cleaner (until now I've made do with a Swiffer and a DustBuster)
- Photo storage boxes in which to file all my old photos and negatives
- Frames for some small pictures and prints I'd never gotten around to framing
- Two huge Case Logic cases for my CDs, since I'm damned if I'm moving all those jewel cases and that media rack again (I know: Case Logic is SO 1996, but I don't have an iPod).
- Weed out my wardrobe
- Have frames made for my M.A. and Ph.D. diplomas, to match the one for my B.A.
- Purchase some photo albums, since I haven't done anything with the photos I've taken over the last three or four years
- Clean and Scotch-Guard my upholstered furniture
- Launder the new linens I've purchased
- Buy a third section for my over-door shoe rack, since I'm long since out of room.
And I have to ask: is there anyone out there who doesn't love the Container Store and the way that it allows one to feel, ever so briefly, in control of all aspects of one's life?
(If so, I haven't met this person, and we probably wouldn't be friends anyway.)