(Ninth in a series)
1. What did you do in 2015 that you'd never done before?
*Got a tattoo
*Sold a house
*Left a job I loved
*Watched a family member enter a final illness
2. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes: one friend had her first and another her second.
3. Did anyone close to you die?
This was a year for facing mortality. A grad school friend and a grad school professor both died, and (like last year) another friend lost an infant daughter. And the early months of 2016 will bring another death.
4. What countries did you visit?
Only Canada (a couple of times).
5. What would you like to have in 2016 that you lacked in 2015?
More leisure travel. Less death.
6. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
In terms of effort, selling our house and getting all our possessions in the same state, if not under the same roof (much of it is still in storage).
In terms of satisfaction, throwing ourselves into a new city and a new social scene. I'm surprised how many people I already know, and how optimistic I'm feeling about this place.
7. What was your biggest failure?
I could have been more patient and generous with various people whom I knew to be under stress. Actually, I could just be more patient and generous, full stop.
8. Did you suffer illness or injury?
9. What was the best thing you bought?
My mink coat. (Yes, I bought a mink coat. It's vintage, it's full-length, and it's ridiculous. And I'm wearing it evvvvvverywhere.)
10. Whose behavior merited celebration?
All of Cosimo's extended family.
11. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I think this blog is too public for me to specify!
12. Where did most of your money go?
Getting the house ready to sell and then moving drained our bank account. But most of my moving expenses were eventually reimbursed, and we made money on the sale, so all's well that ends well.
13. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
a) About the same
b) All my clothes fit, so who's counting?
c) Richer: my new job came with a nice raise, and (for the moment) we don't have a mortgage
14. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Blogged, for one.
15. What do you wish you'd done less of?
16. What was the best book you read?
Either Richard Price's Lush Life or Giuseppe di Lampedusa's Il Gattopardo (in English, alas. Someday in Italian!)
17. What was your favorite film of the year?
18. What was your favorite album of the year?
19. What was the best play you saw?
Best new play: King Charles III (Broadway)
Best revival: Pericles (Stratford Festival)
20. What kept you sane?
Living with my spouse full time. Making progress on the book. Getting out & about in the city.
21. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2015.
I don't know about "lessons." But I know that I am not resigned.