Friday, January 23, 2009

Feline interlude



In 24 hours I'll be back in Cha-Cha-City--indeed, at this very hour, I hope to be drinking margaritas with Evey and Jack (because nothing says "winter in the northeast" like a margarita or four). But in order to get to that happy place and that happy hour, I first have to endure a number of hours in the company of an unhappy feline.



Nero is not fond of the car. I usually give him a tranquilizer--but, like his owner, he has a ridiculously high tolerance; even a large dose lasts only a few hours and doesn't fully calm him down. On our trip out here he was so unhappy that, at about the four-hour mark, I got to wondering whether he'd be any less stressed if he were out of his carrier.



Lesson learned: inside of his carrier, he's fretful and noisy. Outside of his carrier, he's fretful, noisy. . . and a danger to me and everyone else on the road.

9 comments:

What Now? said...

Oh dear! Too bad that the sans-carrier approach didn't work; one of our now-departed cats yowled up a racket for hours on end in the car until we realized that she was totally fine when she could just curl up on the seat.

Flavia said...

Well, I bet he'd be okay if there were someone else in the car (and if not, at least there would be someone with free hands to wrangle him back into his carrier). He eventually wound up under my seat, where he was pretty quiet--but worrying about what he was up to or whether he might emerge and decide to wind around my feet was almost as stressful as having him moving around.

Live and learn.

Anonymous said...

He's beautiful!

life_of_a_fool said...

could you put him in a harness and a leash, so he's out of the carrier but can't get under foot?

What I'm really here to say though is that he is beautiful!! He looks a bit like a troublemaker, but in a good way!

Doctor Cleveland said...

Poor Nero! He does look happy in those pictures, though.

Susan said...

He is gorgeous. But I once traveled with my cat loose in the car, and was terrified; she seemed to think that walking across the dashboard and steering wheel would help me... Maybe someone else would have helped... she would complain when we were on city streets, when it was stop and go; when we hit the highway she fell asleep!

Flavia said...

Thanks, all!

Yes, he was immensely happy in my sublet, which had lots of shelves and counters and things to climb on (I was happy there, too, as my subletter--a visual artist--had decorated her place with all kinds of neat objets and textiles and brightly-painted walls).

In the event, Nero survived the trip without too many audible expressions of displeasure, and is now contently settled back home (albeit with crazy, druggy eyes).

Sisyphus said...

He's so cute, and the size of a kitten still! He looks mischievous.

I also see shoes. Shoes!

priscian said...

Kitten? That guy's gotta weigh like twelve pounds!